Fifth Universalist Church, Boston, MA.

Dublin Core

Title

Fifth Universalist Church, Boston, MA.
46-5thUniversalist.jpg

Subject

Fifth Universalist Church, Boston, Mass.

Description

image of Fifth Universalist Church in Boston, ca. 1843

originally printed in the 1843 Boston Almanac as part of a catalog of the churches in Boston at that time

The building was sold to the Jewish congregation of Ohabei Shalom in 1864. It housed a nightclub for much of the 1930s - 1950s, and reopened as the Charles Playhouse theater in 1958.

The congregation merged with South Universalist Church and moved to Shawmut Ave. in 1864. They moved to Brookline in 1904 and took the name Beacon Universalist Parish. In 1943, they merged with the Church of our Savior in Waltham.

Creator

S. N. Dickinson

Source

Dickinson, S. N. Boston Almanac, The. Boston: Thomas Groom & Co., 1843: 112.

Publisher

Thomas Groom & Co.
printed by Rotary Press

Date

1843

Type

jpg

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

engraving

Physical Dimensions

6.5 cm x 6.5 cm

Item Relations

This item has no relations.

Date Added
April 5, 2011
Collection
1843 Boston Almanac
Item Type
Still Image
Tags
,
Citation
S. N. Dickinson, “Fifth Universalist Church, Boston, MA.,” Congregational Library Exhibits, accessed October 22, 2018, http://exhibits.congregationallibrary.org/items/show/51.
Files
No files are associated with this item.