Images and text are reproduced from the 1843 Boston Almanac by S. N. Dickinson, pp.66-126.
MINISTERS OF BOSTON.
IN the following pages will be found a condensed notice, such as the limits of this work and the space allotted to each would alone permit, of the churches of the metropolis, of their Pastors from the beginning, and of some of the most prominent points in their history.
Until the commencement of the present century, the additions to the number of churches in the city, were few and gradual. From that period, and especially for the last twenty years, the increase has been rapid, and with multiplying sects, has perhaps exceeded the ratio of the population. Instead of twenty, which was the whole number in 1800, there are now upwards of seventy worshipping societies in the city, sixty of whom have their regular places of public worship, at present, in halls or rooms hired for the occasion. For the nine Congregational churches, the in existence, and united by their ancient and truly christian bond of the "Quarterly Charity Lecture," there are now, including the three Chapels for the Ministry at Large, pastors of which are Congregational, thirty of that name. Of the Baptist denomination of each communion, we number twelve; of the Episcopal, six; of the Methodist, eight; of the Roman Catholic, five; of the Universalist, six; of the Lutheran, two; of the New-Jerusalem, or Swedenborgian, one. In this enumeration it is to be understood, that the churches of South and East Boston are included.
Besides the general harmony, which has always characterized the various denominations of this city, there is one circumstance worthy of notice, that the hours of public worship on the Sabbath are with them all the same. The whole worshipping population are seen repairing to their several churches at once; a spectacle interesting to the reflecting stranger, and presenting a picture of christian harmony equally instructive and engaging.