1843 Boston Almanac church engravings

First Congregational Church

FIRST CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

This ancient Congregational church, the first in the metropolis, was regularly imbodied at Charlestown, 27th August, 1630, and Rev. John Wilson installed as teacher. In 1632 the first house of worship was built. It had mud walls and a thatched roof, and stood on the south side of what is now State street. The second meeting house was erected in 1639, on the spot that ‘Joy’s buildings’ now occupies in Washington street, and was burned down in the great fire of Oct. 2, 1711. The third house was begun on the same site, June 25, 1712, and dedicated May 3, 1713. This was taken down in 1808, and in the same year, Thursday, July 21, the present house in Chauncy place was solemnly appropriated to Christian worship.

MINISTERS

JOHN WILSON, inst. Nov. 23, 1632, died Aug. 7, 1667, aged 78.
JOHN COTTON, inst. Oct. 17, 1633, died Dec. 23, 1652, aged 67.
JOHN NORTON, inst. July 23, 1656, died April 5th, 1663, aged 57.
JOHN DAVENPORT, inst. Dec. 9, 1668, died March 15, 1670, aged 72.
JAMES ALLEN, inst. Dec. 9, 1668, died Sept. 22, 1710.
JOHN OXENBRIDGE, inst. April 10, 1670, died Dec. 28, 1674, aged 65.
JOSHUA MOODY, Assistant, May 3, 1684 to 1692, died July 4, 1697, aged 65.
JOHN BAILEY, Assistant, July 17, 1693, died Dec. 12, 1697, aged 53.
BENJAMIN WADSWORTH, ord. Sept. 8, 1696, died March 12, 1737, aged 67.
THOMAS BRIDGE, inst. May 10, 1705, died Sept. 26, 1715, aged 58.
THOMAS FOXCROFT, ord. Nov. 20, 1717, died June 18, 1769, aged 72.
CHARLES CHAUNCY, D. D., ord. Oct. 25, 1727, died Feb. 10, 1787, aged 82.
JOHN CLARKE, D. D., ord. July 8, 1778, died April 1, 1798, aged 42.
WILLIAM EMERSON, inst. Oct. 16, 1799, died May 12, 1811, aged 42.
JOHN LOVEJOY ABBOTT, ord. July 14, 1813, died Oct. 17, 1814, aged 31.
NATHANIEL L. FROTHINGHAM, D. D., ord. March 15, 1815, present Pastor.